News

New Westminster man seriously burned by home explosion

The home at 1011 Fifth Avenue had its front window blown out when a resident accidently lit up a flammable container on Monday afternoon, according to New Westminster police. - Grant Granger/NewsLeader
The home at 1011 Fifth Avenue had its front window blown out when a resident accidently lit up a flammable container on Monday afternoon, according to New Westminster police.
— image credit: Grant Granger/NewsLeader

A man is in hospital in serious but stable condition following an explosion in a home in the Brow of the Hill neighbourhood of New Westminster on Monday.

The explosion at 1011 Fifth Ave., occurred about 4:30 p.m. When fire and police arrived they found a man inside "with significant burn injuries," said New Westminster police Staff Sgt. Paul Hyland.

Since they weren't sure what the cause was, some nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution in case it was a gas leak or something similar.

Hyland said it appears the man accidentally ignited a container with flammable material inside that eventually caused a flash fire that eventually blew out his front window. Police, however, are not releasing what that material was. No charges are being recommended, and there were no indications it was any kind of clandestine lab, said Hyland.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, August 2014

Add an Event