News

City acts on illegal construciton

A Queensborough home will have a notice filed against it with the land title office by the City of New Westminster after a stop work order was ignored.

The action was approved after a staff report to council recommended the notice be filed because unapproved enclosed decks were built at a new home at 1222 Eckert Ave.

The report said the owners were told prior to approving the original building permit for a new home in 2010 that the decks could not be covered because the original plans already called for the house to be built to the maximum floor space ratio allowed.

The decks were open when the final inspection was done in April 2011, according to the report.

But in July 2012 an inspector discovered the lower and upper decks had been closed in and construction had been done without the proper permits and a stop work notice was put on the home’s front door.

On Sept. 4, a follow-up inspection revealed the order had been removed and more work had been done despite no application for building permits received by the city.

In October, three bylaw offence notices were issued for violations and the fines paid.

By November, the home’s owners had neither applied for building permits or removed the unauthorized construction, states the city report.

“The unapproved work visible from the exterior includes: building a large addition by extending the rear roof line over the upper open deck area, building walls on top of the upper deck with three windows and a door across the back.

Additionally, the rear covered deck on the main floor has had new exterior walls built to enclose the deck with a new door leading to a side deck and new door and window at the back,” said the report from the manager of building inspections.

If council choose the routes staff recommends, a notice on title would let prospective purchasers know the home has outstanding building violations.

The owners, Sukhvinder Sahota and Sukhdeep Sahota, who list their address as another home on Eckert, will be allowed a chance to give their side of the story to council before the notice is officially filed with the land title office.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Carnarvon Street businesses and residents complain of abuse
 
Police seek machete-wielding attacker
Province okays transit tax referendum question, with some tweaks
 
Surrey boy, 3, struck and abandoned
 
Surrey murder victim identifed as Jaylen Sandhu, 17
Initial assessment finds mother unfit to stand trial: defence
 
Trinity Western University in Langley sues law society over law school
 
Mission business donates hundreds of toys to Christmas Bureau

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event