- BC Games
Three alarm fire in Moody Park neighbourhood
No one was injured in a three-alarm fire in the Moody Park residential neighbourhood Friday morning.
New Westminster assistant fire chief Reid Millman said the house's occupants—a grandmother, a single mother and a child—were not in the home at 1136 Seventh Avenue home at the time, although the grandmother was later taken from the scene to hospital due to stress. The blaze did claim the life of a cat, but firefighters managed to rescue a dog.
Pete Parest and his wife, who recently moved to New Westminster's west end, were walking up Seventh Avenue to do some shopping uptown when they saw smoke billowing from the home. Parest said he went next door and told the resident to phone 911, and because he could hear the dog barking tried to free it.
"If anything happens to our home I hope they would save our dog, too," said Parest.
Millman said the fire originated in the basement and spread to a second floor kitchen area. The suspected cause was the dryer, but officials were still investigating.
He said most of the damage was confined to the back of the house on the first and second floors.
Originally he called a second alarm, but because the house next door was so close he called a third alarm before downgrading it once they got into the home and determined the extent of the fire, which they battled for close to an hour.
"It's better to have too many guys instead of not enough," said Millman.
Across the street at Lord Kelvin elementary, principal Daljeet Rama said staff and students were attempting to raise funds for the family before school was dismissed for the Christmas season.